Abreu Staffed Camp

Philmont Region: SouthCampsites: 15Camp Status: In UseElevation: 7219ftUTM Coordinates: 13N 498595E 4025959NResources: Cantina, ShowersProgram: Cabin/Lodge Tour, Cantina, Mexican Dinner, New Mexican HomesteadItineraries Camping Here: 12-11, 12-14, 12-21, 12-22, 1A-S, 1B-S, 2A-S, 2B-S, 7-9, 9-11Nearby Camps: This feature is coming soon.Nearby Programs: This feature is coming soon.Interesting Things Around: This feature is coming soon.

The Abreu settlement was built by Jesus Gil Abreu and his wife Petra shortly after Lucien Maxwell left the area in 1857. The settlement included a ranch, a family store, and a cantina. The original ranch house was destroyed during a flood in a replica has been rebuilt about 100 yards from where it was. The cantina which serves root beer to scouts today was built by scouts during their conservation project in 1998.

Learn about who this camp is named after: